Pages

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

4 Weeks Post-Op!

I'm finally at the 4 week mark from my surgery day!

How do I feel about this? I think...Thank goodness it's 4 weeks since my surgery and I also think...it's ONLY BEEN 4 weeks! *sigh*
It's nice to know things will just continue to heal but I keep telling myself, I can't wait until next summer!

I went and saw my surgeon today. He said things are looking good. My lower jaw has gone back a tiny bit but he said it shouldn't regress anymore. I could tell that it had shifted a tiny bit because I could feel a little more space between my bottom front teeth and top front teeth. But he said that isn't uncommon and usually happens within the first 2 weeks and shouldn't change anymore. That makes me a little nervous but I'm gonna trust that my surgeon knows what he's talking about.

The downside right now is that since my jaw joints are so poor, I am experiencing a lot of TMJ pain. My right side has always been worse than the left but they both hurt quite a bit. The right side likes to crack and pop in a really big way once in a while. PAIN!! That is one word to use for it haha. This happens when my jaw randomly jerks to the side or something weird like that. Muscle spasms!
 Jaw surgery doesn't help the jaw joints or improve them, but hopefully it helps to prevent further damage to the joints. Another downside for me is that my joints are in such poor condition already, this jaw surgery might make my joints hurt a lot more for the next year. If my joints continue to wear down as they have in the past few years, the worse case scenario would be that I need to get joint replacement surgery. Basically the surgery is similar to a hip replacement. Same basic procedure done like a hip replacement but on the jaw instead. I certainly want to avoid this in every way because I'm so young. If I do end up needing that done, it would mean having joint surgery every so many years throughout my life because the joint replacements only last so long. If I was 70 this wouldn't be that bad of an option, but being 25...well, I don't want to go through any other type of jaw or joint surgery as long as I'm on this earth! That would be very last resort, but I do admit, I am having to spend some time praying about this one as I feel a little worried about that. No sense in worrying when I don't need to! But it's a little concerning. I wouldn't know if something like that was necessary until I completely recover and have my braces off, so I will continue to pray and trust that God is going to heal me in His perfect way and that I will be well on my way in the next couple years to feel good and sing lots!

Because my joints are hurting so much, my surgeon decided I need to take my elastics off during the day time to give my joints a rest. So at this point, I'll be putting them back on around supper each evening and wearing them until the morning. I still can't open my mouth hardly at all. Can't even fit a baby spoon in there. So I'm still drinking my meals. My days are up and down. Some days I feel I have lots of energy and not too much pain. Other days I'm suffering and sit on the couch a lot. Those will hopefully lessen more and more!

Here's a update on my profile! The swelling should go down by the end of August.
Can't believe it's already July 21st!! This summer will be over in no time!


July 21, 2010 - 4 Weeks Post-Op






I still have a little yellow bruising but barely noticeable! I think things are looking good... ; )

1 comments:

the student said...

ooooh i'm so excited you put a new one up, you look super beautiful!! :D very cute, soft, feminine profile, and your eyeliner looks gorgeous! <3 !!

Post a Comment