Pages

Saturday, June 12, 2010

The Details.....12 Days to Go!

So I saw my oral surgeon on Monday this past week. It was yet another appointment getting that really gross goop stuck to my teeth to create the models of my teeth and bite. After that, I bit on some wax to create another bite model. After only about 10 minutes of this, my jaw was killing already! I'm am SO ready for this pain to end!

It's been a little while since I've stated the details of what I'm actually having done on my jaw. In 2005/2006 I started experiencing a lot of ear pain, so much it would wake me up at night. I had no idea this was being caused because I clench my teeth and my bite was beginning to change. Throughout the next year, my upper jaw actually started shifting forward and my lower jaw started shifting back. It's odd this didn't start happening when I was a lot younger as it does for most people who need jaw surgery, but mine just started in my early 20's. Because of this shift happening, I started getting daily headaches, jaw pain, singing made me exhausted and talking all day at work of course, didn't help! So, I think I've posted all these details before in an earlier post, the last couple years have been preparation for this upcoming surgery.

My surgery includes upper and lower orthognathic (jaw) surgery and a possible chin implant. My upper jaw is going to be moved up a little closer to my nose, and back farther. My lower jaw is going to be moved up as well and moved forward to match up together nicely.  Then I may get a little implant placed in my chin so it naturally fits my new jaw line etc.

The surgery itself takes about 2 1/2 to 3 hours. I'll be in the hospital for sure for one night, possibly two. No talking for 4 weeks. On a liquid diet for 6 to 8 weeks. Soft food for a few months, and in about 1 to 2 years, I should be completely healed. There's still a long road ahead, but this is the beginning of getting to where I need to be so I'm ready for it! 

I am starting to feel a little nervous for the surgery, it's coming up quick. My surgeon said there is a chance he made need to wire my jaw shut. He said once he goes in, he anticipates my jaw bones are going to be quite thin because of my size, so if it's needed he may need to wire it shut to be sure it heals correctly. This would mean 6 weeks wired shut, which also means I can't talk at all so I am of course praying that isn't necessary!

My biggest challenge right now is making sure I really have everything done at work before I go! I think once I feel I've finished what I need to do, I'll feel a bit less overwhelmed right now. It's having enough energy to get it done with so much to do! But God is definitely giving me strength and the ability to have some restful sleeps (that is once I can turn my mind off and fall  asleep haha).


0 comments:

Post a Comment